7/26/2012

How to prepare for IIT-JEE

Couple of weeks back, an IIT enthusiast, named Adhithya, pinged me on Facebook and asked me the enigmatic question that has probably crossed tens of millions of Indian minds in the past: how to crack JEE? Of course, many have asked me this question ever since I cleared JEE, but never before had I devised an answer so thoughtfully and, looking back at my reply, meticulously. Somehow, I felt the need to record this conversation on my blog for helping similarly ambitious brains in the future, or just to look back at what kind of a person I was in my youth. :-)

    I know JEE is not in the form it used to be, but the following tips go beyond the formal structure of JEE -- they emphasize the more fundamental stuff required in a candidate to achieve his goal. And yes, I have personally followed whatever I have written below, and I am proud of it in some way. :-) One more thing: the two years spent in Kota preparing for JEE changed my life... nah, they changed me forever. Here's the conversation in almost its original form:


Adhithya: Plz tell me how tough it is and how to get into IIT?
Me: Hey Adhithya... tell me more about yourself. Then only I can help you.
Adhithya:  I'm from **** and studying @ +1. Sir I have no idea about the preparation... How to prepare from +1 onwards and in what way I need to study... and how many hours I have to work...
Me: Hmm... so, have you joined any coaching classes? How many percentage did you get in 10th? Which board -- CBSE/state/ICSE?
Adhithya: Yes, I have joined an iit-jee coaching class at an institution known as ****. I got 94% in my 10th, in state board. Will you plz give me some advice?

Me: You've got good marks in 10th standard. But that certainly isn't a sure indicator whether you are cut out for JEE. To crack JEE successfully, you need to put in consistent efforts for 2 years at least -- about 8 to 10 hours of efficient study on most of the days.

    Also, your coaching classes play a crucial role, because they decide what you'll practice, study, etc. I don't know anything about the classes that you have joined. Are they good? How are their previous results? I did my coaching in Bansal classes in Kota. So I didn't have to worry about that aspect of my preparation.

    One of the most important thing that you need (apart from hard-work and good coaching) is raw intelligence. I'll be frank with you: if someone is not really intelligent, he won't be able to make it into IIT even if he works his ass off for 2-3 years. So, first of all, you should judge yourself objectively. Is your PCM good enough to clear JEE? Well, I know, this is a tough question to ask. That's where the Coaching classes help. If you know that, say, 100 students from your institution clear JEE every year. Then that means, you should be in the top 100 of your institute. You have to have some measure to tell you whether you are really made for JEE or not. Otherwise it will be a stressful and unpleasant experience to prepare for JEE. The last thing that you need to enter IIT is luck. If God is on your side, then everything is possible. :)

     So, these are the 4 things you need to become an IITian: consistent hard-work, good coaching, raw intelligence, and luck. Out of these, luck and intelligence is not something that you can do much about on your own. But the first two -- good coaching and hard-work -- that's where you have to choose wisely.

    By the way, IIT is not the last thing in life. It's just the start. You should be realistic about your goals. Not everyone is intelligent enough to crack IIT. I am not demotivating you, just telling the truth. I hope you understand. If a person is not so intelligent to cross the JEE barrier, he or she should aim for NIT or BITS or IIIT or VIT or good engineering colleges. Nowadays, there are loads of them.

    First of all, fix your aim. Aim for IIT, but be realistic. If you don't get the results (that is, marks that indicate that you are eligible to crack JEE), don't be discouraged. With that realistic stuff in mind, put your best in it. Take the help of good coaching classes in the best possible way. If the coaching that you have joined doesn't have good teachers, I suggest you change the coaching classes if possible, or at least join some correspondence course of reputed coaching classes.

     Regarding which books to follow and all, I don't think I am the right person to advice you on this, because I personally didn't follow any books. The material (notes + exercises) provided by Bansal classes proved more than sufficient for me. I think you can ask technical questions like these (main topics, etc.) to your teachers or immediate seniors, because it has been years since I attempted JEE -- I don't even remember most of the things, and many things must have changed.

    Well, I hope that helps. If you have anything specific, feel free to ask. Best of luck in your endeavor. Whatever you do and achieve in your life, don't forget to be happy and satisfied with it. That's the trick! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment