10/20/2012

The curious case of Mug-buddies

Disclaimer: This post is written recklessly, without any effort to maintain sanity or to preserve a good-boy image, although considerable fight has been put to make it funny. References to real-life characters, though maybe true, are not meant to insult anyone. I am just having fun, my way. (Waise bhi kya ukhaad loge!?) Views presented are mostly mine but, as usual, I have taken opinion of several of my like-minded friends. They _totally_ agree with me. :D

     Since my childhood -- okay, fine... since 2nd year in IIT -- I have always wondered why people go to the library/dcf so enthusiastically and frequently. I didn't pay much attention to it until some of my CAT-enthu friends (no, not bestiality... the MBA-thingy) started going to Lib in the summer vacation for taking mock tests. They raped some, got raped in some. I used to join them, thinking I will also mug. LOL, I know. Result: lots of Anime and the beginning of my-fav-english-songs collection *sigh*. But knowledge comes in many forms. There, I got to see the bigger picture: answer to my childhood question.

    In the library, we saw many couples studying together. Being forever alone, I got a bit jealous and started the discussion one fine night. Conclusion: we decided to give them the benefit of doubt: they are just mug-buddies. And that is how the term was coined. How naive were we! Little did we know about the truth.

The world calls it group study. Hehe...
    Recently, my interest grew in these mug-buddies. Questions queued in my vetti mind: do these mug-sessions are only about mugging? What is the lifestyle of mug-buddies? Thus began my research: making observations, collecting data, conducting experiments -- which included asking indubitable questions to mug-buddies or friends of mug-buddies, going to Lib/dcf myself, eating more Lays, etc. One of the gossip sessions in a dinner party boosted my research. I elucidate here some of my observations and conclusions. 

    You see, acads is the best garb you can wear on top of your despo-ness. Nobody complains your intentions once you utter those words. Neither friends nor parents. You are just friends, helping each other in acads. Yeah, right! Everything becomes all the less fishy if you are a self-professed muggu. Library becomes the new hotspot -- more like the beach inside IIT.

    It generally begins with being in the same team for a course or a lab. This is akin to developing attraction on the sets of the same movie. Obviously, this phenomenon is not observed in every team having sexual multiplicity greater than 1. And then, gradually, Lau develops o_O (more on this uncanny entity in a later post). [Click on my latest rage comic to preview it 1x]

Lau is awesome! I know, right?

    But sometimes all this mug-buddy business takes a new form. Take this case for example. I had myself gone to the Lib for a group study before the AI midsem. (Several people noticed that I had grown insane interest in acads for those particular 2 weeks. I myself dunno why.) Naturally, I couldn't help but progress on my research. A particular couple seated right next to our desk attracted my attention. The girl was studying less and passing innuendos more. And the boy -- his desponess was so evident from his facial expressions that I couldn't help but laugh. Poor fellow was having a *hard* time concentrating on his subject. ;)

Some take it to the next level, literally.

    On the same night, in another case, I saw a girl enter the Lib -- even though she was wearing a slightly-tighter-than-normal pyjama and tee, my instincts told me something was fishy. I made a mental note of her. Next day, I saw her in my department with a guy! And then again in Tifanys with the same guy. Mug-buddy case confirmed! I was getting a hang of it.

    The mug-buddy phenomenon can be observed in almost every batch, every dept., every program (B.Tech., M.Tech, MS, Foreign fucking Exchange, etc.)! There are some easy ways you can spot otherwise secretive mug-buddies: girl/boy with phone in hand outside lib waiting for her/his mug-buddy, or girl/boy suddenly starts mugging late night and return to hostel at almost midnight everyday -- never really discusses where and what he studied. But several mug-buddy cases are just too obvious; you don't need to be an expert researcher (:D) to collect data in those cases.

    As you might have noticed, my research is not baseless. I have conducted transparent, objective, generalizable, almost-accurate, repeatable, and unbiased experiments for several months. There are lots of case studies -- independent and uncorrelated in nature. I welcome people to engage in this interesting and very novel research area. As for practical applications of this field, well... you can have a lot of fun! ;)


PS: People are going to hate me for this post. But haters gonna hate! At least some will see the value in my research: the effort put behind it, the creativity, the humor, the truth. :D Those who want proof/data on my hypothesis/research, I can tell you which dataset was used, give you pointers to conduct your own research, etc. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment